27 Feb 2011

THE MISTERY OF A PEWTER PLATE

When you repaint rooms there are always things which disappear. At least that was the case in our house. An engraved pewter plate from my Grandma's home town which had always hanged on the entrance wall, had disappeared. Instead I found two handpainted plates from Italy which had hanged on a wall somewhere but we both couldn't remember where.

Mr. G. pretended that he had never touched the pewter plate and didn't even remember that it had hanged for years in the entrance. This is not unusual because most men have potatoes on their eyes when it comes to decorations unless they are their own once. I too hadn't taken the plate away because for that I would have needed a chair or something, and that I would remember.

Mr. G. started a thorough detective work and checked all cupboads, wardrobes, closets and drawers, as if the painters had hidden our plate inside some wardrobes and under our underwear. Of course the resulat was zero.

Then one day in the middle of the week he stormed in my room like a elephant who had found a banana and shouted happily "I found the plate" ! Where ?? I asked.



It was sitting in a vitrine just in front of his bed, where he also kept the soldiers of Napoleon's Waterloo army. Apparently years ago, I had moved the plate from the entrance into the vitrine.



But these two plates are still there and I don't know where they were. Meanwhile I have put them away in the hope I won't forget where I put them, until we find a place to hang them up. So one mistery is solved, but the other still remains open.

8 comments:

  1. As I said to another friend recently. I believe it's called senile decay, Gattina. I sometimes have attacks of it, too. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gattina! It's probably time to start reading «Can't remember what I forgot...» ;))

    Blogtrotter Two is strolling in Southern France amidst the best of the perfumes... Enjoy and have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We daren't put anything down in our house in case it disappears - I dread decorating!
    Lovely plates, though, all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm beginning to have senior moments too. Nice plates btw.

    Have a nice day, Boonie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forget stuff all the time. This worries me as I am only 52! I like to think perhaps it is menopause brain!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Painting is like moving - things get moved and we think they've disappeared. In our house things get put down, and soon they're covered in books, magazines, maps and notebooks, so we can't find them.
    -- K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe you have a ghost residing in your home, and the renovation works brought him out???

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !