17 Feb 2008

ROCK 'N ROLL THE START OF A NEW GENERATION






At our last "goat" (chinese astrologic sign) meeting we suddenly started to compare our youth with the one of our children. All three of us are from the same generation with different nationalities. I am German, Ilona Belgian and Chantal French we spent our teen age years in different countries, except myself who continued my teenage life in Belgium from 1959 on. But when it comes to our youth it was more or less the same.

It all started with Rock and Roll. We were the first generation who would later be copied by their own children or even grand children. This had never happened in history.

The song "That's All Right Mama" from Elvis Presley and Bill Haley's "Rock Around the Clock" both from 1954 set the rock and roll boom in motion. Rock around the Clock became one of the biggest hits in history, causing riots in some cities. It was a breakthrough for all of rock and roll music and set the mold for everything else that came.

The massive popularity and worldwide scope of rock and roll gave it an unprecedented social impact. Far beyond simply a musical style, rock and roll influenced lifestyles, fashion, attitudes, language and also the way of dancing from this year on we rocked ! And we loved it ! Ilona even won Rock & Roll contests with her partners. All later dance genres wich followed, starting with the twist, and leading up to funk, disco, house, techno, punk and heavy metal, found there origin in the Rock & Roll.

We have seen Elvis live on TV if not in concert, and all the other Rock & Roll heros too. We could see the young Beatles in concert, they were the same age as we. I liked the Rolling Stones when they were young but think they should stop by now to perform live it looks like if I were still dancing Rock & Roll and Mr. Gattino swings me over his shoulder. Just ridiculous. But I still love their music. After all they are all grandpas and we can be proud of them.

So when today our sons ask us how it was then, we can talk and talk and describe and our eyes would sparkle and somewhere we are a little sorry for them that there is nothing really new to invent or change the world at least not yet.

Today I would choose in my son's generation


Robbie Williams

and in my grandson (or daughter)'s



Mika

Below is a post about "Queen"

11 comments:

  1. Gday Gattina,, We must be about the same vintage I rocked around the clock to these songs and more That's All Right Mama" from Elvis Presley and Bill Haley and the Comets, "Rock Around the Clock" . The Beehive hair do's, bobby sox, etc, those were the days..Hugs Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. good choices all round here.

    It's great that you have the shared music links.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Elvis even though I wasn't of that generation. I knew him from watching his movies as a child and the music appreciation came later.
    He was my first love and it hurt when he died.

    I can't say I agree with the Robbie Williams or Mika choices though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I too am the rock and roll generation. I am still a big Roy Orbison and Fats Domino fan.

    I even took dancing lessions to learn how to dance the Jive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elvis and Robbiiiiiiiieeeeee in one post? Ear-candy meets eye-candy! You ROCK!

    Schönes Wochenende!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Old Rock and rollers never die...count me in with blue suede shoes and you ain't nothing but a hound dog. Thanks for your sweet comment today about my surgery. I'll count on you as one of my cheerleaders too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My friend Uschi, and her friend Sybille love Robbie Williams. I've never heard of him here in the US.
    For me, I love the Beatles. I have since I was a little girl, and probably will until the day I die.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Gattina:
    Love that music. I grew up mainly with the Beatles, 3 Dog Night, Doobie Brothers, Moody Blues, Led Zeplin and others but also Elvis was mixed in there also. Wow, were those the days or what!!!!! Now that was my kind of music. However, there are many that I like these days.
    By the way...great blog!!
    Ellen
    www.ellens-treasures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aaaaaaaaaaah, Robbie!!!!!!!
    You made my day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for contributing this post to The Seventh Day: Ninth Edition blog carnival at On the Horizon! The Carnival will be live tomorrow, February 24, 2008! Stop by and check out the other excellent submissions!

    Rock on! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was the music of my mother's generation, and now mine! You are so right, Gattina. The music of that time had a vitality and joy that my daugther, who is nine, also loves. Not for us this moody, broody grim stuff.

    I'm glad YouTube brings them to us all "live" when we need a boost!

    This is a wonderful post.

    I'm here via The Seventh Day.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !