19 May 2008

MANIC MONDAY - PLAY - GREEK THEATRE

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Quilly's Alphabet is here today : letter S = Greek Statues




More participants are here







The Epidaurus (Greece) theater, where plays still take place today

This huge theater is famous for its symmetry and beauty, which is used once again for dramatic performances, the ceremonial Hestiatoreion (banqueting hall), baths and a palaestra. The theater was designed by Polykleitos the Younger in the 4th century BC. The original 34 rows were extended in Roman times by another 21 rows.

The theater is marveled for its exceptional acoustics to all 15,000 spectators, regardless of their seating. Tourists standing in the middle of the stage clapped in their hands and it could be heard all over the place. Pavarotti sang here too.

13 comments:

  1. For some reason I feel very small (pun intended as I am 5'2 or 1,62m!!) whenever I visit/see such grand historical places...And then I feel very young!!
    :)
    Great shots, Gattina.
    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Greeks certainly knew how to put on a play. A think they defined it for the west, as with so many other things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Gattina ~~ I well remember the very hot days we used to have, so now as you say it's your turn. I hope you enjoyed your trip to Greece.
    Take care Gattina, Love, Merle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoof!! That sounds pretty incredible. Bark!! Thanks fur telling us that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would so love to visit this! I would have RATHER to visited while Pavarotti was there... but if I go I will bring along a battery powered BOOM Box and my PRAISE songs!!! I'll give myself a concert!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is somewhere I have wanted to see since hearing the acoustics in the movie Goodbye Mr. Chips. A lovely post to go with the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back, we missed you, Gattina! Lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing place. I need to go a wandering again. I sure do miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One can not do anything thing else but admire those clever builders. Such an achievement in that time.

    Would have been an experience for life to have been to a concert there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd like to be there!!!J'adore le théâtre, j'en ai fait pendant quatre ans. J'aurais vraiment aimé jouer dans un tel lieu! Mais pas dans le genre dramatique plutôt comique!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How great that you took this trip and have so many pictures to remember it by. Our daughter in law is from Greece and wants us all to go there someday too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh WOW!! Great photos Gattina.

    I had to slip back over and tell you that I really like you new thumbnail pic. Nice shot of you!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't you just have the perfect pix for Mo's "play" theme! :D

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !